We destroy their habitats, we hunt them for trophies to hang on our walls, we put them through tortuous testing just to have another choice of laundry soap or mascara. We cram them into impossibly small enclosures and force feed them corn, antibiotics and hormones. We dump our garbage into the oceans and poison their homes. We wear their skins, cut off their horns and fins. We lock them in zoos and aquariums and pay to see them perform at circuses after they have been beaten into submission. We are destructive, cruel and selfish and it needs to end! We MUST makes changes in our lives to protect the animals of this earth and stop this disgusting behavior now!
Here are a few easy steps YOU can take to help put an end to the horrendous treatment of the animals we share this planet with:
- Only buy products that are NOT tested on animals. This is very easy to do. DId you know that most of the cleaning products out there are tested on dogs whose feet never touch the ground their entire lives? There are tons of sites out there listing these products. Here is one.
- Stop wearing leather and source cruelty free and socially responsible brands. Again it is easy to google this and find them. Here is a short list.
- One of the biggest impacts you can have is to become vegan or at least vegetarian. If you believe this is too much for you to do all at once, begin by picking two days a week to eat a vegan or vegetarian meal. Here is a bunch of great recipes to start you off. You will feel better and you will save countless lives.
- Use egg replacements or buy ONLY pasture raised eggs. Cage free and free range are only marketing terms and mean nothing when it comes to the treatment of the animals. Here is one you can try.
- Speak out!! Sign the petitions, share information. Go to Facebook and Instagram sites and tell companies that you will NOT accept their treatment of animals any longer. Tell everyone and anyone who will listen that is not okay to hunt animals for trophies, it is not okay to lock dolphins and whales up in small tanks, it is not okay to beat elephants into submission so someone can ride them!
- STOP visiting zoo's, aquariums and circuses who use animals for entertainment. Without your money they cannot exist.
- Make sure your sunscreen is reef safe and clean up after yourself when you visit beaches and waterways. Here is a safe sunscreen.
- There are millions of animals locked up in shelters and rescues - Adopt don't shop! Put the breeders out of business, and hopefully we can put the shelters out of business too.
- Teach our children to be respectful of ALL animals.
We can no longer be complacent! It is up to us to give our voices to those who have none. We all need to be better versions of ourselves, and we need to do it now!