As a Vegan, the most asked question I hear is - how do you get enough protein? Well, even though this question can sometimes get a bit annoying, I always let people know that protein isn't ever an issue if you eat healthy. Most vegetables, grains, beans, nuts and seeds contain some protein and many of them have a lot of protein.
These salads are so delicious, even your non-Vegan friends will love them. Feel free to change up these recipes and add whatever plant based ingredients you like. Enjoy!
QUINOA SALAD WITH MANGO
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup each: black beans and chopped cucumber
- 1 fresh mango, cubed
- 1 avocado, cubed and sprinkled with lime or lemon juice
- ¼ cup each: mint (chopped), cilantro (or parsley)
- 2 Tbsp each: olive oil and lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package.
- Mix olive oil, lime juice, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Add all the other ingredients and toss with dressing. Cool in refrigerator.
ROASTED BEET SALAD
- 3-4 medium beets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- A bunch of mixed greens (organic of course)
- Vegan Goat cheese
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 ½ Tbsp. each: maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced onion
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic
- 5-6 Tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Scrub beets and cut off both ends. Drizzle with olive oil and put on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil. Cover with tin foil loosely. Cook for 1 hour. Let cool enough to handle. Peel skin off and slice. OR clean (don’t cut off ends) put in a pot and boil for 40 minutes. Let cool and peel.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together.
- Arrange mixed greens, top with beets and cheese and drizzle with dressing.
- Add cut up orange pieces to salad. Replace one of the Tbsp. of vinegar with orange juice and a bit of orange jest.